GG’s Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp butter, cut in small pieces
- 3/4 cup milk (about)
- strawberries, quartered and sweetened
- Sift flour with baking powder, salt and sugar. Rub in butter. Add milk gradually until a soft dough is formed.
- Turn out on floured board and knead lightly for a minute or two. Roll or pat into a round cake pan.
- Bake at 450*F until delicately browned, about 15 minutes.
- While still hot, split horizontally with a silver knife (long bread knife). Butter generously with softened butter (to make sure that the strawberry juices don’t soak into the cake) and the spread generously with strawberries. Let stand for at least 1 hour. Cover this with top layer of biscuit. Butter it and pour on rest of berries. Cover with sweetened whipped cream. Serve warm.