Italian Lasagna with White Sauce
- 1/2 cup porcini mushrooms (if dried, soaked in hot water for 1/2 hour)
- 1 cup red wine (dry)
- 1/2 lb pork, ground
- 1/2 lb veal, ground
- 1/2 lb beef, ground
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 stalk celery, chopped fine
- 1 carrot, chopped fine
- 1 can plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- herbs: basil, marjoram or oregano
- 6 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp milk
- Chop veggies, cook in 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp melted butter until soft. Then add meat. Brown well. Drain fat off or cool and skim.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and discard. Chop mushrooms finely, add wine and tomatoes. Simmer. Also add 2 tbsp tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Cook until thick. Near end of cooking, add herbs.
- White sauce: melt butter, then add flour and whisk until slightly thickened. Then add milk slowly, stirring to incorporate it.
- Cook noodles for 5 minutes until slightly soft. Then drop in ice cold water, rub hand down to dry and lay on towels.
- Layer some meat sauce first, then cream sauce (should be quite thin). Place noodles on the meat sauce. Repeat. Top layer white sauce with grated parmesan or romano.
- Cook 15-20 minutes at 375*F in a 9 x 13 pan. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Can be frozen.