Becky’s Cassoulet style stew
- 6-8 sausages
- 4 pieces bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 pieces of chicken, breast or thigh
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 carrots, chopped in half lenghtwise then into 3/4″ pieces (approx)
- 3 small potatoes, 1″ cubes
- 2 cups green beans, chopped in 1″ pieces
- 2 cans beans, spanish or other white beans – drained and rinsed
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- Brown the sausages whole, then remove from pan and cut into 1″ pieces.
- Brown the chicken pieces, then remove from pan (add a bit of oil if needed).
- Add the bacon pieces and cook until slightly browned. Deglaze the pan by adding a bit of liquid (wine, beer, white wine vinegar, balsamic, etc.).
- Add the onions and saute until translucent. Add garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes.
- If using a slow cooker, add everything to the slow cooker at this point (including the canned beans), then add enough liquid to cover.
- One hour before serving, add the green beans and the kale.
Notes are here