You’ll see why they’re named Hedgehog meatballs once they’re cooked! It’s a bit of a strange sounding meal, but it’s such nourishing comfort food.
- 2 lbs ground meat (we used bison)
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 egg
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- some spices (we used fresh parsley, oregano and thyme)
- 2 large cans of tomatoes (we used one can of crushed and one can of diced)
- 6 carrots, sliced into thin rounds
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- Mix everything together except the tomatoes, carrots and celery thoroughly with your hands and form into small meatballs (about 1 to 1 1/2 inches). Brown the meatballs in oil (do them in several batches if needed so that they aren’t too crowded in the pan), and then add the tomatoes, carrots and celery. Let everything simmer together for 20-30 minutes, until the carrots are tender and the meatballs are cooked through.