This is my staple smoothy recipe. It’s pretty much a blended meal and I make a full blender full, which makes 5 pints (I usually use mason jars, as they are convenient for bringing to work).
- 1 handful of nuts, almonds, walnuts, cashews
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 scoop protein powder (I only add this occasionally, depending on whether I want the smoothy to be a more complete meal)
- 1-2 oranges
- 1-2 apples
- 2 carrots
- 1 giant handful of spinach, really just as much as you can fit in the blender
- 1 cup kefir (if I have it)
- 3ish cups of water, enough to fill up to about half of the blender – I like my smoothies very blended and quite liquidy, so if you like a thicker smoothy, you’ll probably want less water. It also depends on your blender, because most need enough liquid to blend properly.
- 2 cups of frozen mixed berries
- I add all of the ingredients in the order above, except for the frozen berries.
- I blend it all quite well, then add the frozen berries. I sometimes add more water at this stage if it doesn’t seem to be blending well.