Mulled Poached Pears
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 Bartlett or Anjoy pears
- 2 each slices gingerroot and stips lemon rind
- 2 cinnamon sticks, halved
- 1/2 tsp each peppercorns and whole cloves
- Wrap spices in a square of cheesecloth.
- In a large deep saucepan, bring wine water, sugar, lemon juice and spice bag to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel pears, leaving stems intact. Using melon baller and working from bottom, remove core. Add pears to wine mixture. Cover with parchment-paper circle and lid; simmer basting occasionally, until tender but still firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove pears to shallow dish. Discard spice bag.
- Boil liquid over medium-high hea until about 3/4 cup, 25 minutes. Pour over pears. Refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours (or up to 8 hours).
- Makes 6 servings.