Golden Rutabaga Casserole
I signed up to get a box of local, organic produce delivered to my house from Share Organics. My first box came with something I’ve never bought or cooked — rutabaga! I had no idea what to make but I found this recipe online and it was great. It took just a few minutes to prep, I put it on the stove when I put my turkey leg and beets in the oven to roast, and it was ready with the gravy! I’m not sure why it’s called a casserole, it’s more of a purree or mash. It’s sweet and yummy and way more exciting than the rutabaga looked when I first laid eyes on it…
- 1 orange, zested, peeled & chopped
- 3 cups water
- 6 carrot, chopped
- 5 cups cubed peeled rutabaga
- 1/2 cup dried apricot
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- In large saucepan, combine water, orange zest, orange, carrots, rutabaga, apricots, maple syrup, butter and salt and pepper to taste; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until water evaporates and vegetables are tender.
- Purée mixture using an immersion blender or food processor, adding sour cream, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Transfer to warmed vegetable bowl and stir.